If you know one thing about What You Expect as well as myself, we love to discuss of players are going to the Pro Football Hall of Fame or not. Today, November 22nd, The Pro Football Hall of Fame revealed 28 modern-era semifinalists for the Class of 2023.
This year’s semifinalists include five first-year eligible players, offensive tackle Joe Thomas, offensive guard Jahri Evans, defensive end Dwight Freeney, linebacker James Harrison, and cornerback Darrelle Revis.
This year’s semifinalists also feature 19 players who were semifinalists last year. Notables include wide receiver Henry Ellard and cornerback Albert Lewis, who are in their final year of eligibility as modern-era players, and linebacker London Fletcher, who is a first-time semifinalist.
The next cut will be to fifteen finalists which will be revealed in January.
Who Will Make it:
The What You Expect group chat was in a frenzy today due to this announcement because we could not decide who will be the final Hall of Fame Class of 2023. I will start by saying Darrell Revis and Joe Thomas are guaranteed to be first-ballot Hall of Famers so there are two spots taken right there. Both of these players were dominant during their era, Revis was a 4-time first-team All-Pro out of 10 seasons and a 7-time Pro Bowler and Joe Thomas was an All-Pro 8 times and 10-time Pro Bowler despite only playing 10 seasons.
Now for the last three, it gets very tricky.
On one hand, I am a Giants fan so I hated Demarcus Ware; however, I have to admit Ware should make the Hall of Fame this year. Ware is a 7-time All-Pro player and 9-time Pro Bowler, he is also 9th all-time in sacks. Next up is Devin Hester, the greatest kick returner of all time. Hester made the All-Pro team 4 times and was in the 2000s and 2010s all-decade teams, this feels like his year. Last but not least I believe Steve Smith Sr. will get. in this year.
Picking the last player to make is tough because everyone’s resume for the most part is incredible however Steve Smith had 4 All Pro Seasons and the stats to back it up. The reason I give Steve the edge over other guys in his era is the talent to match the size. Also, the media votes for these things and I am sure his friends will get him in this year over people who are also deserving such as Ronde Barber, Zach Thomas, Jared Allen, Willie Anderson, Reggie Wayne, and more.
Complete list of semifinalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023:
- Eric Allen, cornerback
- Jared Allen, defensive end
- Willie Anderson, offensive tackle
- Ronde Barber, cornerback
- Anquan Boldin, wide receiver
- Henry Ellard, wide receiver
- Jahri Evans, offensive guard
- London Fletcher, linebacker
- Dwight Freeney, defensive end
- James Harrison, linebacker
- Rodney Harrison, safety
- Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver
- Torry Holt, wide receiver
- Andre Johnson, wide receiver
- Albert Lewis, cornerback
- Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker
- Darrelle Revis, cornerback
- Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver
- Fred Taylor, running back
- Joe Thomas, offensive tackle
- Zach Thomas, linebacker
- Hines Ward, wide receiver
- DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end
- Ricky Watters, running back
- Reggie Wayne, wide receiver
- Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle
- Patrick Willis, linebacker
- Darren Woodson, safety